Meet Johan L. Sr. Production Artist who leads one of High 5 Games most brilliant teams in producing the illustrations for our amazing land based slot cabinets such as: Miss Universe: Crowning Moment, Valkyrie Queen, Maggie and the Martians and so much more!
1. How long have you been working with High 5 Games?
I have been working with High 5 Games for 7 years now. I was around the 35th employee, and a few years later, the company grew up to 300!
2. Please tell us what you do, as Sr. Production Artist for High 5 Games?
I mainly do illustration work for land based games in our post production team. But I can do a little bit of animation as well. Production Artists are mixed with Art and technical skills so we can do a little bit of code editing as well.
3. Name the game you are most proud of working on for High 5 Casino and tell us why it’s your favorite and what inspired you?
Our team doesn’t really work on High 5 Casino, but one of my favorite games I worked on for land was Miss Universe: Crowning Moment. Doing the top screen was fun and colorful and I got to meet Miss Universe! On a side note, there is a game my team is working currently for mobile, look out for MAGIC MACAW!
4. How long does it take to create and complete the animations and illustrations for a game? Can you tell us what goes into it?
Once a game is bought by our land based client, ideally we have around 2 to 3 months to do the final illustrations, animations, prototyping and packaging.
5. If you could be a High 5 Casino game character who would you like to be? Why?
Probably the male character from Love U, because I’m nerdy and awkward, and I love science! I love watching videos of Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson
6. What is the hardest part when creating the animation and illustrations for a new game?
The hardest part for is always the concept sketches and color. But once that’s finalized, the details are easy.
7. What is your favorite animation to create?
I don’t specialize in animation, but once in a while I get to do simple ones like sparkles and text wiggling!
8. How did you get involved in animation and illustration?
During high school, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to study but all I knew is I loved art class. So my art teacher suggested School of Visual Arts, and that’s where I studied illustration and I loved it!
9. If you weren’t an artist, what other profession would you have chosen?
A few years after graduating college, I stumbled into my 5th grade year book and underneath my photo we were asked “what do you want to be when you grow up?” and I wrote Engineer. Guess that was my original plan and I just forgot. Haha!
10. As Sr. Production Artist, what is your favorite part of your job?
Doing art is the obvious answer, but having the privilege to work with friendly, kind, and fun group of people is my favorite part. My commute is 2 hours each way which is torture, but once I get to work, I realize how fun my job is.
Which High 5 Games’ game have you seen in your local casino? Comment in the conversation bubble located on the top right of the blog post to let us know!